Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Home Blog Page 567

Rep. LeDoux election fraud trial delayed again — to January, 2024

Who says politicians get special treatment? Former state Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux, a Republican from Anchorage, was scheduled to stand trial next week for election misconduct during the 2018 primary and general elections. But after years of delays, her attorneys have talked the court into delaying her trial until after Jan. 1.

The trial was to begin Nov. 27, and there were about a week and a half set aside for it. Now, all of the hearings have been vacated by the judge. The next date in court is Jan. 8. That’s when the new trial date will be set.

LeDoux is accused of committing voter misconduct and unlawful interference in elections in a case that goes back to at least 2018. Other charges relating to fraud in the 2014 election had been dismissed by the judge.

LeDoux, an Anchorage Republican who represented the JBER-Muldoon district, faces charges relating to her 2018 House race. Also charged are Lisa Vaught Simpson, LeDoux’s now-former chief of staff in the Legislature, and Simpson’s adult son Caden Vaught.

LeDoux’s legal troubles began with an investigation started in 2018 after the Division of Elections identified irregularities in some of the absentee ballot applications and absentee ballots returned for the primary election. The three are accused of getting people who didn’t live in the district to vote in the district.

LeDoux may have also falsified ballots by voting for people who were no longer in the district. In one instance, 17 ballots were cast from one household.

LeDoux and the others are accused of “knowingly solicited or encouraged, directly or indirectly, a registered voter who is no longer qualified to vote.” The allegations are class C felonies, which carry up to five years in prison.

But while the court hearing was set for next week, It appears a new witness has been found for the now-75-year-old defendant.

Gas stoves for me, but not for thee

The Biden administration plans to ban gas stoves after U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s top leader, Richard Trumka Jr., said earlier this year that “a ban on gas stoves is on the table.” He says they are unsafe.

Already liberal-run cities have started restricting gas stoves, ovens, and home furnaces, now subject to bans or restrictions in New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego.

“This is a hidden hazard,” Trumka said. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

Trumka later said it would not apply to existing stoves, but only to new stoves.

On Thanksgiving, it became clear any ban would not apply to Vice President Kamala Harris or First Lady Jill Biden, who have posted a social media photos of themselves with their gas stoves over the past years.

Wells Fargo employees in Bethel petition to join national bank union

6

Employees at Wells Fargo branches in Bethel, Alaska, and Albuquerque, New Mexico, have initiated efforts to unionize. They filed a petition on Monday with the National Labor Relations Board to hold elections for joining the Communications Workers of America’s Wells Fargo Workers United.

Only 1.3% of finance sector workers belong to unions, compared with 10% of the overall U.S. workforce, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It’s not just tellers who want to organize. Sabrina Perez, a senior premier banker with nearly a decade at Wells Fargo in Albuquerque, said the decision to unionize stems from a desire to reshape Wells Fargo’s culture into one that values both workers and customers equitably and respectfully.

The move towards unionization gained momentum amidst operational challenges for banks that began during the Covid-19 pandemic. In Bethel, Wells Fargo and First National Bank of Alaska are the two main banks, and Global Federal Credit Union also has a branch in the town of 6,400 residents.

Earlier this year, Wells Fargo Workers United’s push for shareholder support in recognizing employees’ rights to organize and form unions received 36% backing.

The unfolding scenario in Bethel may signal a shift in the traditionally union-averse finance sector.

Seattle church to 9th Circuit: Don’t let Washington State force us to pay for employee abortions

By CASEY HARPER | THE CENTER SQUARE

A Seattle-area church filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit this week after a lower court ruled that the church must pay for healthcare coverage that includes elective abortions.

A Washington state law passed in 2018 requires most employers to provide healthcare coverage for employees that includes elective abortions if the coverage also includes maternity care. Those who violate the law can face criminal penalties, including even prison time.

“Cedar Park Church celebrates and protects life from conception to natural death; it’s unconscionable for the state to force any church to pay for abortions,” John Bursch, senior counsel and vice president at Alliance Defending Freedom, the legal group helping represent the church, said in a statement.

“The abortion coverage mandate requires Cedar Park to act contrary to its religious beliefs and violates its constitutionally protected freedoms,” he said. “The U.S. Supreme Court has established that the government cannot compel religious organizations to act in violation of their sincerely held faith convictions.”

Bursch pointed to Fulton v. City of Philadelphia, a recent Supreme Court ruling where the court said that the city of Philadelphia could not stop sending foster-care referrals to Catholic Social Services because of its beliefs about marriage. The case was a win for religious liberty advocates, pushing back against how the government can discriminate against faith-based groups for their beliefs.

Read the one-page case summary

A key issue in this new case, Cedar Park Assembly of God of Kirkland v. Kreidler, is whether churches can access the same conscience protections extended to health care providers.

“Washington offers real conscience protection to health care providers, religiously sponsored health carriers, and health care facilities,” ADF said in its opening brief. “These religious objectors are exempt from including abortion coverage in their own employee health plans or paying for abortion coverage in any circumstance. Yet because Cedar Park is a church and not a healthcare-related entity, Washington forces it to (at least) indirectly include abortion and abortifacient contraceptives in its health plan. And the state authorizes health carriers to charge Cedar Park for this abortion coverage surreptitiously.”

Legal documents related to this case:

First brief of appellant/cross-appellee

Notice of appeal

Defendant’s motion for summary judgment granted

Plaintiff’s opposition to defendants’ motion for summary judgment

Plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment

9th Circuit opinion

Plaintiff-appellant’s reply brief filed with 9th Circuit

Plaintiff-appellant’s opening brief filed with 9th Circuit

Order denying motion for preliminary injunction and granting motion to dismiss

Plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction and memorandum in support

Plaintiff’s opposition to defendants’ motion to dismiss

Complaint

Names of dead and missing in Wrangell landslide released by Alaska Department of Public Safety

4

The Alaska Department of Public Safety has announced the names of people still missing after the Nov. 20 landslide in the Southeast Alaska community. Three Alaskans remain missing:

  • 65-year-old Otto “Ottie” Florschutz
  • 12-year-old Derek Heller
  • 11-year-old Kara Heller

Three Alaskans were located deceased:

  • 44-year-old Timothy Heller (located 11/21/23)
  • 36-year-old Beth Heller (located 11/21/23)
  • 16-year-old Mara Heller (located 11/20/23)

The landslide, which was unexpected, occurred at about Mile 11 of Zimovia Highway on Monday evening, taking out three homes in what was a 450-foot-wide mud and debris field. Rain and wind in the area had been intense in the previous several hour, with as much as three inches of rain falling in some areas.

Searchers conducted three separate active search efforts after determining what areas of the slide zone were safe for rescuers to work in.

Downing: Say their names: Israeli women and girls raped tortured, murdered, as women’s rights groups look away

By SUZANNE DOWNING

In an era marked by women’s rights militancy, a deafening silence looms over savage atrocities experienced by Israeli women and girls at the hands of Hamas terrorists.

The United Nations commemorates the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women on Saturday, while a blatant contradiction stares the world right in the face: The systemic rape and murder of Israeli women and children by Hamas terrorists, in what appears to have been a preplanned part of the terror campaign launched by Hamas on Oct. 7. It’s a war crime.

The systematic dehumanization of Jewish women and children challenges the selective activism that plagues the global women’s rights network. The failure to even acknowledge these war crimes contrasts with the movement’s relentlessly shrill stance on other women’s issues. Whatever happened to “Believe All Women”?

Do the women’s organizations not believe the account of a survivor, who hid during the Oct. 7 raid on Israel, but could see from her hiding place a girl who had been captured and was being passed from Palestinian to Palestinian terrorist, who took turns defiling her?

“As I am hiding, I see in the corner of my eye that [a terrorist] is raping her,” the witness recounted to Times of Israel. “They bent her over and I realized they were raping her and simply passing her on to the next [terrorist],” the woman recounted. Her story is not isolated.

Such accounts should catalyze immediate outrage and action, from the White House to the United Nations, yet there remains a baffling silence, a betrayal of the very principles that women’s rights movements say they believe. 

On Oct. 13, even though the torture of Jewish women had already been documented, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres equated Hamas’s brutalities with Israel’s self-defense. 

Guterres said of the situation in Gaza that Hamas had killed more than 1,200 people and injured thousands, but, on the other hand, Israel had killed 1,800 people in response and injured thousands. He went on to say that Israel was being unreasonable to call on Palestinians in Gaza City to move to the south of the territory within 24 hours.

 “Moving more than one million people across a densely populated warzone to a place with no food, water, or accommodation, when the entire territory is under siege, is extremely dangerous – and in some cases, simply not possible,” he said. Again, the UN showed little concern shown for the war crimes being committed by Hamas against women and children.

UN-Women’s statement of Oct. 20 also ignored the atrocities, and instead focused on Gaza women’s suffering as they became the new heads of households, their husbands having been killed in the fighting on behalf of Hamas.

Meanwhile, a Hamas video recording showed its terrorists torturing a pregnant woman at a kibbutz, and removing and killing her unborn child.

The United Nations’ and UN-Women’s response, or lack thereof, further underscores this disparity. While the suffering of women and children in Gaza rightly receives attention, the atrocities committed against Israeli women and girls are seemingly sidelined. This selective blindness undermines the credibility of these organizations and their commitment to universal women’s rights.

Michal Herzog, the First Lady of the State of Israel made an appeal, explaining that women and girls have been so violently raped that their pelvic bones were broken.

 “Those of us unlucky enough to have seen video evidence broadcast by the terrorists themselves witnessed the body of a naked woman paraded through Gaza, and another, still alive, in bloodied pants held captive at gunpoint being pulled into a jeep by her hair. This evidence, along with the explicit recorded confessions of captured terrorists, makes abundantly clear that mass rape was a premeditated part of Hamas’s plan,” Herzog wrote.

Israeli Police Superintendent Dudi Katz said officers have documented more than 1,000 statements and more than 60,000 video clips related to the attacks that include accounts from people who reported seeing women raped. Although investigators did not have firsthand testimony, it is still not clear whether any rape victims survived.

This is not just an Israeli issue; it’s a global human rights crisis. If the rape of Israeli women and girls at the hands of Hamas terrorists is not a wake-up for women’s rights advocates, then they have willfully abandoned their mission, and lost all credibility.

Suzanne Downing is founder and managing editor of Must Read Alaska.

Big brother: Democrat-led NTSB pushes for artificial intelligence speed controls in all new vehicles

A National Transportation Safety Board investigation into a 2022 fatal crash in North Las Vegas, Nevada, that resulted in nine fatalities has given the board an excuse to recommend a new requirement for intelligent speed assistance technology in all new cars.

The board issued the recommendations earlier this month at a public meeting after determining the crash was caused by high speed, drug-impaired driving, and Nevada’s failure to deter one driver’s speeding recidivism due to systemic deficiencies, despite numerous speeding citations.

Intelligent speed assistance technology, or ISA, uses a car’s GPS location compared with a database of posted speed limits and its onboard cameras to either issue a warning to drivers or to throttle back speed.

Passive ISA systems warn a driver when the vehicle exceeds the speed limit through visual, sound, or haptic alerts, and the driver is responsible for slowing the car.

Active systems include mechanisms that make it more difficult, but not impossible, to increase the speed of a vehicle above the posted speed limit and those that electronically limit the speed of the vehicle to fully prevent drivers from exceeding the speed limit. 

“This crash is the latest in a long line of tragedies we’ve investigated where speeding and impairment led to catastrophe, but it doesn’t have to be this way,” said NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy. “We know the key to saving lives is redundancy, which can protect all of us from human error that occurs on our roads. What we lack is the collective will to act on NTSB safety recommendations.” 

Homendy is a Democrat who served more than 14 years as Democratic staff director for the Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure in the U.S. House of Representatives. She worked for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, AFL-CIO, and American Iron and Steel Institute.

Eliminating speeding through the use of federally mandated speed limiters built into cars is a priority for the NTSB, which seeks to “Develop performance standards for advanced speed-limiting technology, such as variable speed limiters and intelligent speed adaptation devices, for heavy vehicles, including trucks, buses, and motorcoaches. Then require that all newly manufactured heavy vehicles be equipped with such devices.”

In 2021, speeding-related crashes resulted in 12,330 fatalities—about one-third of all traffic fatalities in the United States, the NTSB said.

However, according to the latest figures from AAA, 245 million drivers made a total of 229 billion driving trips, spent 91 billion hours driving, and drove 2.92 trillion miles in 2021. That means out of every 91 million hours of driving, there are 12,330 fatalities, or one fatality for every 7.3 million hours of driving.

According to the National Safety Council, the rates of fatal car accidents has greatly improved over the decades. This is due, in part, to the numerous safety features now required in cars, such as seatbelts, air bags, and backup cameras, which were mandated in 2018.

Don’t feel like Black Friday crowds? Free parking at state parks on Friday

3

The annual tradition with Alaska State Parks waiving parking fees at all park-managed facilities the day after Thanksgiving continues on Friday, Nov. 24. It’s a way to encourage Alaskans to get outside during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

“The day after a Thanksgiving feast is the perfect time to get outside and appreciate some fresh air, rather than fight the crowds for holiday shopping,” said Ricky Gease, director of the Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation. 

Alaskans can instead enjoy Alaska State Parks for free on Friday, and gift a 2024 parking pass, which are for sale online and at retail locations throughout the state, Gease said.

Annual parking passes make recreating in the state’s 157 unique facilities easier and more cost- effective all year long. Day-use parking decals will be $75 beginning Jan. 1, 2023, but early birds who purchase in 2023 will pay just $60 (the decals can also be used through the end of the year). Annual boat launch passes are $150.

The  decals will be available in Anchorage at the DNR Public Information Center and REI, while in Fairbanks parking passes can be purchased at the DNR Public Information Center. In Kodiak, decals are available at Discover Kodiak. As other locations across the state receive the passes, they will be listed online.

For information and online parking pass or boat launch sales, see http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/fees.htm. For information on 2023-2027 Disabled Veteran camping passes, contact the Anchorage Public Information Center at 907-269-8700.

No sign of life: An update from Alaska State Troopers on Wrangell landslide rescue efforts

2

The Alaska State Troopers changed the search and rescue strategy at the landslide in Wrangell from an active search to a reactive search.

On Nov. 20, a massive slide occurred, crossing the Zimovia Highway and reaching the shore, taking three homes with it. At least three are still missing: One adult and two juveniles. Three were found dead during initial search efforts.

After three separate active search efforts, including aerial searching with drones, helicopters, and planes; ground teams with K9 scent detection dogs and trained professionals; and water-based searching with K9 teams and sonar, search teams have reached all areas accessible without the use of heavy machinery.

With the assistance of the Alaska Department of Transportations and Public Facilities, the methodical clearing the roadway has begun, and responders will continue looking for the three missing people who may be buried in the slide area. If new evidence or information suggests that any missing people may be in a specific area in the slide zone, the Alaska State Troopers may restart the active search focused on that new area.

While the active search is concluding, it remains a priority of the Alaska State Troopers to locate the three missing Alaskans to help bring closure to their families and the community.

“Our deepest sympathies are with the families, friends, and loved ones of the three deceased and three missing Alaskans,” Troopers said in a statement. We appreciate all of the assistance that has made this search possible from our local, state, and federal government partners and the regional search and rescue teams that dropped everything to respond to Wrangell to help with this search.”

The Alaska State Troopers will release the names of the deceased individuals and missing persons on Friday, Nov. 24.