Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Home Blog Page 609

Democrat governor of New York tells illegals ‘go somewhere else’ rather than New York

By CHRISTIAN WADE | THE CENTER SQUARE

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul is telling migrants to “go somewhere else” as she tries to dissuade more asylum-seekers from traveling to the state amid another surge of immigration along the U.S.-Mexico border.

In remarks during a CNN appearance, Hochul said New York has “reached capacity” for accepting new migrants and urged them to apply for asylum before leaving their countries or seek shelter in other states if they arrive.

“If you’re going to leave your country, go somewhere else,” Hochul said. “We have to let the word out that when you come to New York, you’re not going to have more hotel rooms.”

Hochul also said she supports efforts to update or suspend New York City’s right to shelter law, which requires the city to provide housing, food and other necessities for homeless individuals, regardless of their immigration status. She said it was never intended to be a “universal right or obligation on the city to have to house literally the entire world.”

Hochul’s remarks appear to be a shift in her stance on immigration for the Democrat who has previously defended New York’s “sanctuary” state status and its storied history of accepting large numbers of asylum seekers.

She has also pushed for work authorization for migrants and lobbied President Joe Biden to extend the temporary protected status to tens of thousands of Venezuelan asylum seekers that allows them to work in the U.S. legally. Critics say policies are encouraging more migrants to enter the country illegally.

New York City has had an influx of more than 116,000 asylum seekers over the past year amid a surge of immigration along the U.S.-Mexico border. The surge coincided with the end of the pandemic-era Title 42 policy that required migrants to stay in Mexico while requesting asylum, which expired in May.

Hochul’s comments echo those previously made by New York Mayor Eric Adams, a fellow Democrat, who in June began distributing flyers on the U.S.-Mexico border as part of a new marketing campaign to dissuade new arrivals from settling in the city.

Adams has criticized the Biden administration for not doing enough to secure the southern border, and has said the migrant crisis will “destroy” New York City if the federal government doesn’t provide more funding and resources to the city.

New York Republicans have long called on Hochul to rescind the state’s sanctuary designation and New York City’s right to shelter law, saying the policies are drawing more migrants to the state.

“New York City’s leaders chose to be a sanctuary city, putting out a welcome mat for every migrant who arrives in the country,” a group of state GOP lawmakers wrote to Hochul earlier this month. “They chose virtue signaling over good government policy, and so must bear the consequences.”

Last week, several Republican congressional lawmakers filed a lawsuit seeking to block New York City from using Brooklyn’s Floyd Bennett Field or other federally owned sites in the Gateway National Recreation Area to provide temporary housing for migrants.

Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-N.Y., and other GOP lawmakers have also called on Democrats in the U.S. Senate to pass a border security bill approved by the House earlier this year.

Homeless camp fire sends flames skyward along Chester Greenbelt

57

A fire in a greenbelt near the Ben Boeke Arena was extinguished by Anchorage Fire Department crews after 4 pm on Sunday.

Several tents that make up a homeless encampment around 16th Avenue went up in flames in what fire officials characterized as a medium-sized fire whose cause is undetermined. The fire was quickly extinguished once firefighters reached the scene. The area is near several populated neighborhoods.

As nights grow colder and darker, homeless camps in the greenbelts of Anchorage are seeing more camp fires built by people trying to keep warm, but this is the first homeless camp fire of the season to require intervention. The fire resulted in no known injuries.

Southern border surge sets new record in August, up 27% over July

By BETHANY BLANKLEY | THE CENTER SQUARE

U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported 232,972 total encounters along the southwest border in August.

The data includes 181,059 encounters with illegal border crossers reported between ports of entry along the Southwest border by Border Patrol agents.

Official data excludes at least 28,355 gotaways reported by Border Patrol agents in preliminary data obtained by The Center Square earlier this month.

Including the gotaway number, total illegal border crossers apprehended or reported evading capture last month was at least 261,327.

This is the greatest number reported in August in U.S. history, according to CBP data on record. It’s nearly equivalent to the population of Anchorage, Alaska.

Troy Miller, a senior CBP official performing the duties of the CBP commissioner, said the agency’s “operational tempo along the border has increased in response to increased encounters, and we remain squarely focused on our broader security mission and enforcing U.S. immigration laws. We are maximizing consequences against those without a legal basis to remain in the United States, including by processing more individuals into expedited removal than ever before. The men and women of CBP continue to work, day in and day out, to protect our nation, disrupting the entry of dangerous people and dangerous goods into the country while providing humanitarian care for vulnerable individuals.”

Despite his claim that “CBP’s message for anyone who is thinking of entering the United States illegally along the Southwest border is simple: don’t do it,” over 10,000 people in the last few days surged the Eagle Pass and El Paso regions of Texas. Eagle Pass officials declared an emergency and Gov. Greg Abbott increased resources to the areas in response.

Since the previous CBP commissioner Chris Magnus was forced to resign, CBP has not been publishing demographic data it previously did in its monthly report. Some of this information is published here, which breaks down encounters by single adults, individuals in a family unit (FMUA), unaccompanied children, single minors (UC) and accompanied minors.

In August, Office of Field Operations agents apprehended 27,426 single adults, 23,613 family units (FMUA), 710 unaccompanied children (UC) and 164 accompanied minors, totaling 51,913. Border Patrol agents apprehended 74,402 single adults, 93,108 FMUA, and 13,549 UC, totaling 181,059.

The numbers are an increase of 27% from July to August, CBP reports.

CBP also reports demographic data by sector. This data reveals the greatest number of illegal border crossers have been pouring into Texas, specifically in the sectors of El Paso, Del Rio and the Rio Grande Valley.

Fiscal year to date, 389,330 illegal border crossers have been apprehended in El Paso, 347,572 in Del Rio, and 292,576 in the Rio Grande Valley.

Southwest sectors that have also been hit hard by illegal border crossers in the sectors of Tucson and San Diego, which have apprehended 322,630 and 204,334 people, respectively.

The majority of illegal border crossers are single adults, totaling nearly 1.2 million fiscal year to date. The majority are coming non-Central American countries from all over the world, totaling over 577,000. The next greatest numbers are more than 444,000 Mexicans, over 76,000 Guatemalans, more than 65,000 Hondurans and over 26,000 El Salvadorans.

The next largest group of illegal border crossers are family units, totaling over 518,000 fiscal year to date. Among them, the greatest number are coming from non-Central American countries, over 324,000; followed by over 71,000 Mexicans, nearly 60,000 Guatemalans, and over 61,000 Hondurans.

Over 118,000 unaccompanied children have been brought into the U.S. through the southern border. The majority of them, nearly 44,000, are from Guatamala.

These numbers exclude gotaways, which The Center Square has been reporting on for the last two years. Nearly 1.6 million gotaways have been reported illegally entering the U.S. and evading capture since January 2021.

Gotaways is the official term used by Border Patrol agents to describe foreign nationals who illegally enter the U.S. between ports of entry and don’t return to Mexico or Canada.

They don’t file asylum or other immigration-related claims – they intentionally illegally enter to avoid being caught. Many have criminal records. They often run when they are pursued by Border Patrol agents or others in law enforcement, authorities tell The Center Square.

The majority of gotaways are single, military-age men. They also include women and children, many who are smuggled, law enforcement officials have explained.

Since January 2021, the number of known, reported gotaways total more than the individual populations of 11 states. The number is believed to be much higher because Border Patrol agents, law enforcement officers, Homeland Security – the agency tasked with defending the homeland – have no idea how many come through who weren’t captured on camera or reported. They have no idea how many, who or where they are.

WaPo doesn’t believe its own poll showing Trump up by 10

By MICHAEL MACHERA | DAILY CALLER NEWS FOUNDATION

The Washington Post cast doubt on its own poll with ABC that showed former President Trump up by 10 points over his likely rival President Joe Biden in the 2024 presidential contest.

Trump leads Biden 52% to 42% in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to the Post. The outlet suggested that, given other polling showing a closer race, its own poll is “probably an outlier” and appeared to cast doubt on the sample.

“The Post-ABC poll shows Biden trailing Trump by 10 percentage points at this early stage in the election cycle, although the sizable margin of Trump’s lead in this survey is significantly at odds with other public polls that show the general election contest a virtual dead heat,” the Post wrote. “The difference between this poll and others, as well as the unusual makeup of Trump’s and Biden’s coalitions in this survey, suggest it is probably an outlier.”

Read the rest of this story at this Daily Caller link.

In a separate NBC poll of 1,000 registered votes conducted Sept. 15-19, Biden’s approval rating has hit an all-time low:

  • Approve 41% [-2 since June]
  • Disapprove 56% [+3 since June]

Swamp report: Assembly prepares to award contract to member’s employer

53

The Anchorage Assembly is preparing to vote on a contract that would award a strategic planning contract concerning the city’s alcohol tax to a company Assemblywoman Anna Brawley works at when not attending to Anchorage Assembly business.

The grant is worth $194,000 and is intended to study uses of the alcohol tax that voters approved in 2020, which is a 5% sales tax to be used to help the inebriates and addicts get help with their addictions, serve the homeless, and provide funding for police and public safety specific to domestic violence.

While Brawley was running for the open seat against Brian Flynn, the Anchorage Daily News assisted the Democrat-leaning candidate by pointing out that Flynn is married to the city’s purchasing director, and thus would have a conflict of interest.

The newspaper downplayed Brawley’s own conflict of interest working at a consultancy that receives many major contracts from the city. Brawley said earlier this year that she stopped working on any projects related to the city and would recuse herself from any vote pertaining to the company. According to her LinkedIn account, she still works at Agnew-Beck.

Another member with an even bigger conflict of interest is Assemblywoman Meg Zaletel, who runs the largest homeless services nonprofit in the state.

Zaletel’s group, Anchorage Coalition to End Homelessness, is continuously awarded grants from the Assembly, and she makes a handsome six-figure salary at ACEH, in addition to the more than $36,000 $60,000 said she gets annually as an Assembly member.

ACEH receives close to three quarters of a million dollars from the city budget annually appropriated by the Assembly, in addition to federal and private grants.

See information about the agenda item, to be taken up Tuesday by the Assembly, at this link.

The Assembly meets at 5:30 pm on the ground floor of the Loussac Library.

School of Government speaker is Tyson Wright, director at renown Operation Underground Railroad

4

The School of Government, a public interest group that meets at King’s Chapel in Wasilla, will host Tyson Wright, director Of Outreach at Operation Underground Railroad on Oct. 7. Operation Underground Railroad is the child rescue organization featured in the documentary “Sound of Freedom.” Wright will be in person on Oct. 7, from 5:30-7:30 pm, to talk about the group’s work at freeing young victims of the control of massive global child trafficking rings.

Founded by Tim Ballard, Operation Underground Railroad has conducted multiple sting operations, some outside the United States, and donated technological and monetary resources to law-enforcement agencies across the planet that combat sex trafficking.

Since becoming famous after the film was made about the group’s work, the organization has come under increasing attack by leftwing media members who accuse it of overestimating the number of rescues it was involved in.

Ballard, who founded the organization, has also been accused by the leftist Vice news organization of sexually harassing women. He is no longer with the organization and has denied the accusations.

School of Government is organized by Edna and Noel DeVries and features speakers on political and social issues that are of interest to Alaskans. There is no cost for the programs.

Chili cook-off winner: Kathy McCollum

7

Wall of guns. Split the pot. Live country music. Silent and outcry auction. And about 15 varieties of homemade chili for the tastebuds and the judging of the 150 people attending the Valley Republican Women’s annual Chili Cook-off.

This year’s winner was Mat-Su School Board member Kathy McCollum, who is also hoping to win another term on the school board of the second-largest and fastest-growing school district in the state. Mat-Su Borough elections are held in November, with early voting starting Oct. 23 and all voting ending Nov. 7.

Other political figures who entered their pots of chili in the contest included last year’s winner, Sen. Mike Shower of Wasilla, Wasilla Mayor Glenda Ledford, Palmer City Councilman Richard Best, and Mat-Su School Board member Ole Larson. More than one of the entries had generous portions of moose meat in them.

Congressional candidate Nick Begich served as emcee of the annual event, assisted by Palmer Deputy Mayor Pam Melin and Region 2 Republican Party officer Ron Johnson, who served as auctioneer.

Also attending Saturday’s conservative gathering at the Palmer Train Depot were Alaska House Speaker Cathy Tilton, Rep. DeLena Johnson, Rep. Kevin McCabe, Sen. Mike Shower, Sen. Shelley Hughes, Mat-Su Mayor Edna DeVries, Assemblyman Dimitri Fonov, Assemblywoman Dee McKee, Alaska Republican Party Chairwoman Ann Brown, GOP Vice Chairman Mike Robbins, and Finance Chairman Jason Warfield.

In a room filled with activists and families, Nick Begich repeated a refrain coined by Mayor Glenda Ledford, “Every time the Anchorage Assembly meets, another business moves to the Valley,” which drew laughter and applause.

California judge shoots down state’s 10-round gun magazine limit

On the same day President Joe Biden said he would reinstitute an “assault weapons” ban and a law limiting rounds allowed in gun magazines, a federal judge in California on Friday struck down that state’s 10-round limit, calling it unconstitutional.

U.S. District Court Judge Roger Benitez of the Southern District of California leaned on a 2022 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court concerning New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, which overturned restrictions on guns and stated clearly that any state gun restrictions must be done in the historical context of when the country’s Founders wrote the Second Amendment.

Benitez wrote that the California state law, as written, essentially makes it a crime to keep and bear the most common firearm magazines typically possessed for lawful purposes.

The Glock 17 has a 17-round magazine, for example. The Glock 17 and Glock 19 (10-round) are two of the most popular handguns made by Glock, and are common among law enforcement officers, military personnel, and millions of private citizens. An estimated one million Glocks are sold each year, many of them with more than 10-round capacity.

“Based on the text, history, and tradition of the Second Amendment, this law is clearly unconstitutional,” Benitez wrote. “There is no American tradition of limiting ammunition capacity and the 10-round limit has no historical pedigree and it is arbitrary and capricious.”

Benitez is known for being a staunch defender of the Second Amendment. Born in Havana, Cuba under communism, he earned an Associate of Arts degree from Imperial Valley College in 1971, a Bachelor of Arts degree from San Diego State University in 1974, and a Juris Doctor from the Western State University College of Law’s San Diego campus (now called the Thomas Jefferson School of Law) in 1978.

In 2004, he was nominated for a federal judgeship by President George W. Bush and was confirmed by the entire Senate, with the exception of Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat.

Poll: Trump leads GOP field in New Hampshire, but lags behind Biden

56

While President Joe Biden has the advantage among likely voters in New Hampshire, former President Donald Trump has an undeniable lead at 39% among the GOP field, with business entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley coming in a distant second and third, according to a new poll released by CNN and the University of New Hampshire.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has dropped into fifth in this poll, coming in behind former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

The poll has Ramaswamy at 13%, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley at 12%, and Christie at 11%. DeSantis came in at 10%, a 13-point drop since the last such CNN poll in July.

Support for DeSantis has fallen dramatically in various polls since he first started putting together campaign plans earlier this year. At one point, he was at 43% of the Republican likely vote.

Biden is leading Trump by 12 points, however. In a head-to-head, Biden got 52% support to Trump’s 40% in New Hampshire.

Some 6% would vote for another candidate, and 2% were unsure.

In 2020’s presidential race, New Hampshire voters went for Biden with 52.9% of the vote to Trump’s 45.5%.

New Hampshire is considered a bellwether state. Between 1900 and 2020, the state’s voters picked the winning presidential candidate nearly 81% of the time. Since 2000, New Hampshire has voted for Democrat presidential nominees 83.3% of the time and Republicans 16.7% of the time.

The leading Republican candidates, with the exception of Trump, will appear in the second GOP debate at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif. on Sept. 27.