Monday, May 18, 2026
Home Blog Page 1236

Reporter arrested, booked after accusations fly over Mayor Berkowitz

63

Maria Athens, a reporter for the Fox New Channel 4 in Anchorage, has been arrested and booked at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center.

(Update, Sunday night: Athens has been released from Hiland, whereabouts unknown).

The drama unfolded Friday. Athens came out on Facebook with a devastating announcement that she had evidence that Mayor Ethan Berkowitz had posted nude photos of himself on a minor’s website.

She encouraged Facebook followers to share her post, which hundreds of them did. As of Saturday morning, tens of thousands had seen her stunning revelation, which carried on across Facebook.

All of this began at 12:08 pm Friday, at the same time the mayor was beginning his regular Friday Facebook press update on COVID-19. He seemed completely unaware of what was unfolding on Athens’ page, and none of the reporters in his press conference asked him about the allegations.

Later, Athens posted a couple of nude photos of the back of a man’s body, which may or may not be Mayor Berkowitz, and may or may not be the floor of his private bathroom in City Hall.

https://www.facebook.com/athensmaria

Berkowitz’ press office issued a denial, and Channel Four news reports last night made no mention of any of the events that had taken place with their reporter.

The State has charges against Athens but the details are not specified.

None of the mainstream media outlets have reported about the case at this point, and Must Read Alaska learned that the mayor had requested police protection at his home overnight.

As of Saturday morning, Athens’ allegations and photos are still posted on her page.

This story will be updated.

Reporter to remain jailed on assault, disorderly conduct

66

Maria Athens was arraigned Saturday and remains in custody at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center this weekend. The charges against the television anchor are Criminal Mischief, Assault 4, and disorderly conduct.

Police took Athens, 41, into custody in the parking lot of Coastal Television Broadcasting in Anchorage after an altercation with a man in the station’s parking lot on Tudor Road.

She had been preparing to broadcast an explosive story about Mayor Ethan Berkowitz, but the station manager, who is said to be her fiancé, was preventing her from going forward with the story.

In a hastily done Facebook broadcast at 12:08 pm on Friday, Athens told the social media world she would have details on the 9 pm news that involved a story about Berkowitz, supposedly photos of his genitals, and an underage Alaskan’s web page. That never happened.

Later, she posted a couple of nude pictures of the back of a man, which she implied was the mayor. By 9 pm, she was in custody and the station made no mention of the incident on their evening broadcasts.

Within hours, the Anchorage Police said an investigation had been done and the allegations were baseless.

More than 30 hours after the drama unfolded with thousands of Alaskans watching on Facebook, the Anchorage Daily News had made no mention of it. But midday on Saturday, Alaska’s News Source reported it this way:

“The incident took place shortly after Athens took to social media to post unsubstantiated allegations against Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz. Though Athens posted that she would cover the story during her late night broadcast on Your Alaska Link, the story never aired.”

The mayor is now under a 24-hour protection detail from Anchorage Police, and his office issued a denial of the allegations on Friday midday, but has not made any statements since. The Mayor’s Office has not explained why the mayor has police stationed outside his home.

New Anchorage tax would add body-cams for cops to increase transparency

23

By SCOTT LEVESQUE

The Municipality of Anchorage’s Public Safety Committee and Mayor Ethan Berkowitz are proposing a new $1.84 million special tax ordinance (AO 2020-116) to obtain body-worn cameras, in-car cameras, digital evidence management, and related technologies for the Anchorage Police Department.

The bond, to be presented to voters in April, would provide the Anchorage Police Department with equipment and software upgrades, and body cameras for all patrol officers. While not explicitly stated, the ordinance is another tool by the Assembly and Berkowitz Administration to ensure more accountability within the APD.

In July, Assembly Member Meg Zaletel introduced an ordinance to limit or restrict police use of force. Zaletel framed it as a call for more accountability, but many called it a gross overreach and overreaction, a way to appease a small but loud group of Black Lives Matter protesters.

While the Assembly and Berkowitz Administration continue to work to find ways to hold first responders accountable, the public at large has been more interested in holding its elected officials accountable for mismanagement of CARES Act relief funds and a unpopular plan to house homeless and treat drug addicts near schools and residential neighborhoods.

But now, the public will be asked to decide if body cams will improve life in Anchorage.

According to the libertarian-leaning Cato Institute, 89 percent of Americans support body cams for cops, with a majority of respondents saying that the cameras will protect officers from untrue allegations. Democrats and Independents were, however, more willing to raise taxes to outfit their local police departments with body cams, while Republicans were less likely to support those taxes.

Read the Cato Report here.

As for AO 2020-116, it comes with a projected cost of $2.2 million a year. That’s where the property owners come in: Property taxes would increase by $5.32 per year on $100,000 of assessed valuation.

If passed by the Assembly, the ordinance to borrow funds for police body cams will be on the ballot April 6, 2021. 

The Assembly will take up the ordinance on Oct. 13 at its regularly scheduled meeting. The agenda can be seen at this link.

Maria Athens has a story on Berkowitz, but mayor says it’s slanderous

83

In a breathless teaser for tonight’s newscast, Fox News reporter Maria Athens says that Mayor Ethan Berkowitz exposed his genitalia on an underage girl’s website. She said this information is according to “reliable sources” and will be divulged tonight.

Her Facebook post urged others to #makethisgoviral, and in her responses to several critics who doubted the veracity of the post, she dropped the F bomb on some, and called another commenter a “UAA loser,” and another one “moron.” The post contained a video of her explaining the story to come tonight.

Commenters ranged from believing her to thinking she was high, but nearly 300 people had shared Athens’ post by 2 pm on Friday.

A phone call to the mayor’s office went directly to voice mail. Must Read Alaska has reached out to Athens for comment.

This afternoon, the reporter also posted a photo as proof, the back of a man who is evidently naked and whose hair resemble’s the mayor’s.

Athens is the lead news anchor and executive producer on Fox ABC, Channel 4.

The mayor’s office released a statement this afternoon that called it slanderous.

Hockey tourney attendees urged to quarantine

7

The Anchorage Health Department says that a youth hockey tournament is where a cluster of COVID-19 cases has been identified.

Contact investigations indicate that the 2020 Termination Dust Invitational, held Oct. 2-4 at the Ben Boeke and Dempsey Anderson arenas, was attended by more than 300 players, coaches and fans, the city wrote.

Teams from Anchorage, Eagle River/Chugiak, Wasilla/Palmer, Kenai/Soldotna and Juneau participated in the tournament. Contact investigations indicate significant close contact in indoor spaces, including locker rooms, with inconsistent use of face coverings.

To avoid further spread of COVID-19, the Anchorage Health Department has advised all attendees without symptoms to quarantine at home for 14 days except to get tested. Additionally, AHD urges all attendees with COVID-19 symptoms to isolate from others at home for 10 days, except to get tested.

Join Suzanne Downing in Wasilla on Saturday

6

Will Republicans regain control of the House? Will Don Young win reelection for his 25th term in office? Is Al Gross a threat to Alaska’s economic future? Will voters be fooled by the “independent” label? What does it mean if absentee ballots don’t need a witness signature?

Must Read Alaska Editor Suzanne Downing is the guest speaker at the October meeting of the Association of Mature American Citizens on Saturday at 11 am., and she will dive into these topics and take questions.

The AMAC meeting location is the Wasilla Senior Center, 1301 S Century Circle, Wasilla.

Debate will be on Oct. 15 and virtual, commission says

2

The Commission on Presidential Debates has reserved an earlier announcement and says the next presidential debate will be on Oct. 15, as originally planned, but will indeed be virtual, with candidates appearing from separate remote locations.

Earlier today, the Trump and Biden campaigns announced the debate was being moved to Oct. 22, and would be in person. That appears to have been a premature assessment.

Moderator Steve Scully of C-SPAN Networks, who is a former intern of Biden’s and was in 2016 an avowed “never Trumper” will be moderating from the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami.

It is unclear at this point if Trump will participate. Biden has made other arrangements for the 15th, so at this point, it does not appear there will be a debate at all.

Is Big Mike back?

9

By DAN FAGAN

If you’ve ever experienced a hot, muggy summer day outside in the deep south, you know the misery the oppressive heat brings. But then out of nowhere comes an ever so slight breeze gently brushing up against you. It feels so good. 

Most listening to Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s video briefing this week on COVID-19 experienced a similar sensation, albeit unconsciously. We’ve been bombarded by the doom and gloomers in the media and from fearmongering politicians like Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz. 

The “virus-will-get-us-all unless we surrender our freedoms” narrative has been so predominate and all-consuming, many of us have bought into the altered reality. 

Dunleavy offered up a different view this week.  

“The virus is not as deadly as we once thought,” said Dunleavy by video.  “Although case rates are rising, hospitalizations and death rates are falling.” 

Dunleavy, unlike Berkowitz, is not obsessed with controlling people and therefore has no need or desire to frighten us into giving up our liberties.  

Berkowitz has justified his economy-destroying and tyrannical ways by telling us: “If we aren’t safe, we are not free.” Berkowitz needs us to be scared. 

Dunleavy did the frenzied, alarmist Berkowitz no favors by offering hope to those tormented by fear of catching COVID-19.

“The chances of you going to the hospital, if you get the virus, is slim,” said Dunleavy.  

The governor’s video then tossed the mic to Jared Kosin, president and CEO of the Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association. 

“Are we seeing an unusual number of ICU patients coming through the door? And the answer so far, is no,” Kosin said. “The takeaway at this time is hospital capacity is holding up.” 

This week’s video briefing on COVID-19 was Dunleavy at his finest. He was Donald Trump-like in his willingness to take on the coronavirus anxiety peddlers in the media. 

It was the Dunleavy of old. The guy we all fell in love with when first elected. Big Mike boldly took on powerful union bosses and courageously worked to right-size bloated state government. When he first proposed cutting $130 million from Alaska’s swollen University system, we thought this is the guy we’ve been waiting for. 

But that Dunleavy abruptly disappeared and hid away in fear and paranoia once “Big Labor” fought back with a recall effort. The old Dunleavy was nowhere to be seen until he resurrected this week with his COVID-19 video challenging the gloomy media.    

Dunleavy must know by now KTUU, Alaska Public Media, The ADN, and liberal bloggers will never give him a fair shake. He can do no right in their eyes. But something happened this week proves Dunleavy doesn’t quite get it and is still worried about how the media covers him. 

Suzanne Downing, publisher of this website, is all over the state covering political fundraisers and other similar events. Her coverage is unprecedented in scope and thoroughness when it comes to Alaska politics. 

Downing this week walked into a fundraiser held for the governor at a home on the Anchorage hillside. Downing often live streams fundraisers on Facebook. When she first opened the door, she was live streaming. Dunleavy noticed Downing with her camera phone and signaled, on camera for all to see, for her to stop streaming. Downing complied. 

Downing was fresh off a trip covering political events on the Kenai Peninsula. On the Kenai, they’ve not been brainwashed into being terrorized by the maskless. Not wearing a mask on the peninsula is not a big deal.    

Dunleavy’s obvious panicking on Downing’s live stream was not a good look for him. It gave the impression he was obsessed with media coverage.  

KTUU was all over it running a story on its website headlined: “As Alaska’s COVID-19 cases rise, Dunleavy seen not wearing mask at political fundraiser.” 

The ADN got in on the fun with a story headlined: “Alaska’s governor and Anchorage officials offer mixed messaging amid unprecedented COVID-19 case counts.”

The ADN chastised the governor for offering hope over COVID-19 during his video briefing reporting: “Within hours of the video’s 5 p.m. launch Tuesday, a political blogger captured a brief video of Dunleavy without a mask covering his face at a Republican Party fundraising event on the Hillside in Anchorage.” 

Notice the ADN wouldn’t acknowledge Downing or Must Read Alaska, referring to her only as a political blogger. Yet Downing’s website is much more packed with news and fresh content than that offered by the ever-shrinking ADN. The paper is clearly down to a skeleton staff farming out much of its coverage to the left-leaning Washington Post and the Associated Press. The ADN resembles a blog much more than Downing’s news site.  The paper refusing to acknowledge Downing shows they are obviously threatened by her. As they should be. 

Dunleavy resurrected his old self this week by challenging the fearmongering media. He must have known saying: “None of us should be terrified today. None of us should be scared today,” would enrage the media. 

If Dunleavy is to be a formidable governor bringing much-needed change to the state, he’ll have to forget about pleasing the Leftist agenda-driven media. And the next time Downing enters a fundraiser live streaming, the governor should walk right up to her, without fear or paranoia, and welcome her viewers. 

Dan Fagan hosts the number one rated morning drive radio show on Newsradio 650 KENI. He splits his time between Anchorage and New Orleans. 

Pop-up PAC: Dark money pours cash in to help Gross but masks its funding source

17

Outside dark money super PACS tied to Sen. Chuck Schumer are flooding Alaska this week in the hope of flipping Alaska’s Senate seat blue and sending Al Gross, the Democrat party’s nominee, to Washington.

According to Politico, Schumer and Senate Democrat funders are washing money through a brand new group called North Star, which revealed itself earlier this week and started airing ads on Thursday. The ad currently running hits Sen. Dan Sullivan on health care isues.

The group’s website leaves more questions than answers as there is no contact information or description of what North Star is or who is behind it. The only way a curious person can determine what the group is about is by tracking the ad buys on radio and TV, and then tracing which agency placed the ads.

At this point, the new infusion of cash from Schumer’s group means Al Gross’ campaign is benefiting from at least $10 million in Outside dark money.

The group is using local legislative staffer Ryan Johnston, who works for Rep. Neal Foster, as its local treasurer and “keeper of records.” Jim Lottsfeldt, a Portland political operative who runs the Midnight Sun AK blog, ran a super PAC in 2014 for Mark Begich that had all of the same connections as the North Star group, and is believed to be connected to this new group as well, but it won’t be known until after the election.

According to North Star’s filing with the Federal Election Commission, the group has already booked $4 million in advertising for the last weeks of the campaign season. Many Alaskans say they are sick of seeing Al Gross ads, but it looks like there are more coming their way.

“The amount made it the largest spender on television in the race,” Politico wrote.

North Star is tied to national Democrats through its media buyer, Waterfront Strategies.

“Since its first election cycle on record in 2012, Waterfront Strategies has become the top vendor for Democratic PACs, labor unions, and left-of-center nonprofits, spending $206,003,697 in the 2018 election cycle. Senate Majority PACHouse Majority PACWomen Vote!, League of Conservation VotersNextGen Climate Action, and the government worker labor union AFSCME are among Waterfront Strategies’ top clients,” according to Influence Watch.

Waterfront Strategies utilizes late-cycle “pop-up PACs,” which are super PACS that form up late in the election season and spend money during the last few weeks, allowing them to avoid disclosing their donors until after the elections are over.

“In 2014, Waterfront Strategies received nearly all the campaign funds from Put Alaska First, a super PAC for ads supporting Sen. Mark Begich in his reelection bid against Republican opponent Dan Sullivan. Campaign finance filings revealed that the super PAC received most of its funding from the from the national Democratic group, Senate Majority PAC,” Influence Watch wrote.

The dark money group is using D.C.-based Amalgamated Bank, which is also used by various Democratic organizations.

“The filing also lists a website that has no contact information or specifics about the group, just a picture of mountains and one sentence: ‘Alaska needs a senator who knows Alaska and puts Alaskans first,'” according to Politico.

“Alaska has now seen a surprising amount of outside investment as polling indicates the race remains highly competitive,” Politico noted. “314 Action, a group that backs Democratic candidates with science backgrounds, has spent $1.5 million so far backing Gross, an orthopedic surgeon with a masters in public health.”

In Anchorage, political operatives from outside the state are now pouring in and will be going door-to-door for the Gross campaign. These operatives are working out of hotels in Anchorage, Must Read Alaska has learned, as they swarm the state to get out the Democratic vote.

in partnership with Must Read Alaska

To support Sullivan, the Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC run by allies of Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has spent less than $1 million in the race.

Gross has spent $2.5 million, according to Advertising Analytics, compared to $1.6 million for Sullivan, the political blog wrote. More spending is likely coming: Gross’ campaign announced Wednesday he raised $9 million in the third quarter of this year, according to Politico.