FRIDAY AT 12:30 PM, AT UAA ALASKA AIRLINES CENTER
Sen. Dan Sullivan’s second Wellness Summit focuses not only on Alaska’s addiction epidemic, but on drug trafficking and the associated crime wave that is victimizing so many Alaskans.
The summit is Friday, Aug. 17, 12-5:30 pm at the UAA Alaska Airlines Center, 3550 Providence Drive. Anyone may attend.
The Alaska Wellness Summit 2.0: Confronting Alaska’s Crime Wave features federal, state and local leaders and stakeholders to build public awareness, identify opportunities for coordination and cooperation, and educate federal officials about Alaska’s unique public safety challenges.
Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy Jim Carroll will discuss Alaska’s recent High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area designation, a classification that fosters greater cooperation, criminal case coordination, and information sharing among local, tribal, state and federal agencies currently engaged in counter-drug trafficking operations in Alaska.
Commandant of the United States Coast Guard Admiral Karl Schultz will deliver remarks on the Coast Guard’s role as our nation’s first line of defense against drug smugglers seeking to bring illegal substances into the United States.
David Rybicki, the Deputy Assistant Attorney General at the Department of Justice in charge of the Criminal Division’s Organized Crime and Gang Section, will talk about violent crime, gang violence, anti-opioid initiatives and combatting threats posed to U.S. citizens.
The summit will be attended by senior Alaska officials and community leaders, including:
- Jahna Lindemuth – Alaska Attorney General
- Bryan Schroder – U.S. Attorney for the District of Alaska
- Walt Monegan – Alaska Commissioner of Public Safety
- Justin Doll – Anchorage Police Chief
- Jolene Goeden – Supervisory Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Ed Mercer – Juneau Police Chief
- Vern Halter – Mat-Su Borough Mayor
- Dr. Brad Myrstol – Associate Professor and Director of the UAA Justice Center
- Dr. Jay Butler – Chief Medical Officer, Alaska Department of Health and Human Services
- Kyle Hopkins – Special Projects Editor, Anchorage Daily News
- Leon Morgan – Director of the Alaska Criminal Information and Analysis Center, Alaska State Troopers
- Kara Nelson – Director of Haven House
- Nasruk Nay – Alaska State Trooper, Alaska Department of Public Safety
The public is welcome.