Mayhem week includes arrest of Maquire Levi — again



The third week in November in Southcentral Alaska started with bullets and ended with them.

But in between the bullets, a man who had been arrested twice before in November for car theft and eluding officers was arrested once again for car theft. And another man, wielding a machete, ended up shot dead by police.


Carlos Holt III

On Nov. 18, Carlos Holt III reportedly shot a woman in the parking lot of the Black Angus Inn, at 14th Avenue and Gambell Street.

The woman was located by officers at 15th and Denali with a gunshot to her torso.

Holt, 53, eventually turned himself in after seeing a police Nixle alert that named him as the suspect; he was charged with assault 3, and misconduct involving a weapon 3. Holt has a long rap sheet in Alaska.


Maquire Malo Levi

At 2:37 am on Nov. 21, Anchorage Police responded to a condominium parking lot on the 6900-block of Meadow Street to investigate a person with a flashlight who was reportedly pounding on the steering column of a 2004 GMC pickup. The caller thought the suspect was stealing the vehicle.

Officers spotted the pickup and a green Jeep Cherokee parked next to it. Officers blocked the jeep and arrested 22-year-old Hans M. Wells and 21-year-old Maquire M. Levi.

Police found meth and shotgun shells on Wells, and two shotguns were in plain sight inside the jeep. One had a sawed-off barrel and was illegal. The Jeep’s ignition was stripped and “punched,” indicating it was also stolen.

Maguire Levi has had other brushes with the law this month.

On Nov. 1,  an Anchorage police officer tried to stop his vehicle at E. 13th Avenue and Hyder Street. Levi was driving a white Ford pickup, and sped from the scene. Later, another officer spotted the vehicle at C Street and W. Dimond Blvd, Police chased Levi, who attempted to flee by driving his vehicle into oncoming traffic.

That’s when an officer used the push bumper of his patrol car to make contact with the rear tire of the pickup, which then spun out and was blocked in by two more patrol cars. Levi exited the truck and ran off, but the chase ended when he encountered a fence he could not scale. Police charged him with felony eluding and reckless driving.

But he was quickly released.

On Nov. 14, a citizen called police to report his 2017 Chevy Silverado rental truck had been stolen from a hotel parking lot on Spenard Road. Police located the vehicle being driven in the Fairview neighborhood. The suspect, Levi, crashed the truck into a light pole at 15th Avenue and Airport Heights Drive, and escaped on foot. He was tracked with the help of a K9 and was discovered hiding behind some trash cans. He was bitten on the arm by the K9 after not responding to officers’ commands.

Levi was booked in the Anchorage Jail and charged with vehicle theft I, violation of conditions of release for a felony, violation of conditions of release for a misdemeanor, theft II, failure to stop, reckless driving, and leaving the scene of an accident. He was out on bail.

His latest incident has landed him in jail again. He has five open criminal cases pending against him from November alone.


Cameron McCarthy

The next major incident happened in Palmer on Thanksgiving Day, when a young man wielding a machete was eventually shot by law enforcement officers as he tried to enter an occupied apartment at Evergreen and Dimond.

Cameron McCarthy, 20, had been in a standoff with Palmer Police, who called Alaska State Troopers for backup. McCarthy was acting strangely and at one point climbed out of a window at the Eagle Hotel and onto the building’s sign, attached to the wall. McCarthy had multiple warrants for various misdemeanors, which is why police were trying to arrest him.


On Friday, Nov. 23, Anchorage police were called to an apartment complex at Rusty Allen Place, near the Tikahtnu Commons off of Glenn Highway, where people reported that shots came from a vehicle either on Boundary Avenue or the highway. A bullet went through the apartment exterior and struck one of the people inside. Another bullet went into a second apartment, but no one was hit.


Fue Yang

The mayhem in Anchorage continued on Saturday evening at 12th Avenue and Gambell Street, when gunfire broke out and two people ended up injured, one with a bullet in the torso and the other with a cut to the head.

The suspect, 41-year-old Fue Yang, is in custody.

“Initial indications are that the suspect and [one victim] got into some type of altercation outside,” police wrote. “Victim #2 attempted to break up the fight; the suspect pulled a gun and shot [that victim] in the torso. During the incident victim 1 received a laceration to the head; what caused that injury is still being determined.”

Both victims were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.


  1. Will this never end? On a related topic, I’d like an Alaskan to look at the federal First Step Act, explaining the good, bad and ugly. I pray it’s nothing like SB91 on the federal level. “Nonviolent crimes”, assessments and credits for good behavior make it suspect. Thanks for your great reporting!

Comments are closed.