Chris Christie drops presidential bid

30

Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie has announced he is dropping out of contention for the nomination for president.

Christie made the announcement in Windham, New Hampshire. He did not endorse any of the other Republican candidates.

“I would rather lose by telling the truth than lie in order to win. It’s clear to me tonight that there isn’t a path for me to win the nomination, which is why I’m suspending my campaign tonight,” he said in his remarks.

Christie, the former governor of New Jersey, had been the attack dog who went after former President Donald Trump during the three Republican debates last year. His decision is being seen as a help to candidate Nikki Haley as the Jan. 15 Iowa caucus kicks off the primary season for Republicans, and New Hampshire’s primary follows close behind, on Jan. 23.

Before he made his announcement, he was caught on a live microphone saying that Haley “is going to get smoked, she’s not up to this.”

“I mean look, she’s spent like $68 million so far, just on TV — spent $68 million so far — $59 million by DeSantis, and we spent 12. I mean, who’s punching above their weight and who’s getting a return on their investment, you know?” Christie said. “And she’s gonna get smoked. And you and I both know it. She’s not up to this.” 

Listen here: