SUPREME COURT HAS ALREADY DONE IRREPARABLE HARM
Today, Stand Tall with Mike has decided that pursuing the case against the recall of the governor in the Alaska Supreme Court is hopeless, and has instructed its attorneys to withdraw its appeal. The arguments are scheduled for March 25, when those on each side of the recall fight are scheduled to make their case to the Supreme Court.
The actions made by the Supreme Court last week, ordering petition booklets to be issued before the case is even heard by the court, indicate that further participation in the legal process would not be a productive use of its resources, Stand Tall With Mike wrote in a press release.
In other words, it’s a waste of money to send lawyers in when the outcome has been predetermined by the court, over the objection of the Superior Court judge, who said that starting early on signatures would sow confusion and cause irreparable harm.
“To counteract this harm, Stand Tall With Mike believes the public is better served, and its resources are better used by turning its full attention to educating the public why the recall of the governor is unjustified, a waste of public resources, an affront to the 145,000 Alaskans who voted for this Governor, and a distraction from the critical issues facing Alaskans,” the group said.
Also on Friday, the court held a scheduling conference setting oral arguments for March 25, telling the lawyers the court will issue its ruling rapidly, perhaps even the day of the argument, the group said.
“This blistering pace is simply unnecessary. At issue are constitutional questions of first impression that deserve careful consideration. In combination with lifting the stay, when there was no harm in allowing the legal process to conclude next month, it is clear the Court is determined to let the recall effort go forward before it has even reviewed the parties’ legal briefings,” STWM said.
“Also on Friday’s call, the court indicated that Chief Justice Joel Bolger would not recuse himself. Chief Justice Bolger is a material witness in the case, and directly participated in the events that gave rise to one of the recall charges. Since then he has made public statements criticizing vetoes made by the Governor.”
The Stand Tall group said they fully expect the Supreme Court to move ahead with a recall election and that voters, rather than unelected judges, will need to stand up to protect the integrity of elections.
It appears the State of Alaska will continue its case, in which it is defending the Division of Elections’ decision to not issue booklets because the grounds for recall are invalid.
Stand Tall With Mike has been a legal defense group, but will now transform into an independent expenditure group to become a campaign organization.
