The first death of an Alaskan who contracted the Wuhan coronavirus was announced today. The person died out of state, said Dr. Anne Zink, chief medical officer for the State of Alaska.
The person who died had been in Washington state for some time, acquired the virus there and died there. The person was older and had other health risk factors.
Another six cases were announced today: Juneau -1, Sterling-1, Fairbanks-2, Ketchikan-2. A total of 42 cases are known across the state.
Gov. Mike Dunleavy said he is preparing to announce ways the private sector is going to rise to help meet the need to create items needed to combat the pandemic: They’ll be making test swabs that are RDA approved, personal protective equipment like masks and gowns, and distilleries will start making hand sanitizer. The details about these efforts will be announced on Wednesday.
Dunleavy and Zink reemphasized the need for all Alaskans to take the advice of experts, and to stay out of public, stay at home, and do whatever they can to not be close to other people except those in their immediate household.
‘The cases we see now are of people who got the disease over a week ago,” Zink said.