Save the date: First Trump-Biden debate is June 27

15

Joe Biden and Donald Trump have accepted the debate invitation from CNN for the first presidential debate, to be held in Atlanta on June 27, with no live audience.

“I’ve received and accepted an invitation from @CNN for a debate on June 27th. Over to you, Donald. As you said: anywhere, any time, any place,” wrote Biden on X/Twitter.

Trump told CNN, “The answer is yes, I will accept.”

Trump then wrote: “Biden is afraid to debate in front of a crowd. That’s only because he can’t draw one.” And then he dropped a campaign ad video comparing the crowds he can draw to the doddering Biden speaking to small rooms of people or sitting on a beach in the sun.

The debate is a break from recent tradition that has the Commission on Presidential Debates directing the schedule.

“Biden’s campaign earlier called on Trump to join him for two presidential debates hosted by news organizations and formally informed the Commission on Presidential Debates that the president will not participate in its previously scheduled fall debates. The former president quickly said he was on board with earlier debates and told radio host Hugh Hewitt that he would accept any moderator,” according to CNN.

Biden recently let it be known he would debate Trump, telling radio host Howard Stern, “I’m happy to debate him.”

In a video message, Biden said, “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again.”

He then chided Trump by saying he heard Trump would be available Wednesdays, referring to Trump’s court schedule.

Trump’s campaign has suggested there be four debates. On Truth Social, Trump accepted the proposed two debates but said he hopes for two more.

“I am Ready and Willing to Debate Crooked Joe at the two proposed times in June and September,” Trump wrote.

Biden has said he won’t take part in the Presidential Debate Commission debates, scheduled for Sept. 16 in Texas, Oct. 1 in Virginia and Oct. 9 in Utah.

Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said in a letter that those dates are “out of step with changes with changes in the structure of our elections and the interests of voters.” She said early voting starts in October, and the the commission has made the debates into an “entertainment spectacle” and did not enforce the debate rules in 2020.

Jake Tapper and Dana Bash will reportedly moderate the debate in June.