Former Vice President Mike Pence told a group in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday that he is suspending his presidential campaign.
Speaking to the Republican Jewish Coalition, Pence said, “I came here to say it’s become clear to me that it’s not my time. So after much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to suspend my campaign for president effective today.”
Pence has not yet qualified for the third presidential debate for Republican candidates, and has slipped steadily in the polls, at the same time former President Donald Trump has strengthened his position as the leading candidate for the Republican Party.
Last week, Pence had still fulfilled the polling criteria to be included on the debate stage, but he had not yet revealed if he had met the individual donor threshold required by the Republican National Committee.
The third Republican presidential debate will be held in Miami on Nov. 8. Trump is again not expected to attend, but Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Vivek Ramaswamy, and Chris Christie have all met the criteria.
Doug Burgum, Asa Hutchinson, and Tim Scott, who qualified for the first two debates, have not yet qualified for the third.