DEMOCRATS FOCUS FUNDS ON ASSEMBLY DISTRICT 1
Absentee voting in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough elections begins on Oct. 21. This will be the first local election in line with November General Election in the Mat-Su, since voters passed that change in 2018, although this is a non-General Election year.
Prop 3, which moved the election to November, means those living in the Borough now vote at a different time than those who live within Palmer, Wasilla, or Houston city limits. Some 79,191 are eligible to vote for the election that ends Nov. 5, 2019. In 2018, the turnout was 15 percent, and civic leaders hope to improve on that turnout, especially during General Election cycles.
On the ballot this year are candidates running for Mat-Su Borough Assembly and School Board. Must Read Alaska identifies them by their political affiliation and/or whether they are endorsed by a party or political organization, such as a union:
Assembly District 1 – Jim Sykes is term-limited
- BUSH, J. Bruce – Republican.
- ENDLE, Brian – Republican, Region 2 Alaska Republicans and Alaska Republican Assembly have endorsed Endle.
- HALE, Tim – Undeclared affiliation, but endorsed by the Democratic Party, and three union PACS, with $500-$1,000 each. Hale has raised $22,000 to Brian Endle’s $10,000. (APOC report linked here). Hale’s donors include Casey Steinau, chairwoman of the Alaska Democratic Party, and Al Gross, the Democratic Party’s choice for U.S. Senate. This indicates the Democrats are serious about taking this seat.
- MILLER, Ryan – Republican. (Edited to indicate that he has not, in fact, withdrawn.)
Assembly District 2 – Matthew Beck is term-limited
- ANDERSON, LaMarr L. – Republican, endorsed by District 11 Republicans (all five precincts are in District 11).
- NOWERS, Stephanie – Undeclared affiliation. Union endorsed and campaign is funded by Alaska Public Employees Association.
- DONEY, Faunus M. – Democrat.
MAXSON, Elizabeth A. “Liz”- Republican candidate is also known as “Elizabeth A. Utter.”
School Board District 2 – Incumbent Ray Michaelson
- HART, James E. “Jim” – Republican, Region 2 Alaska Republican and Alaska Republican Assembly endorsed.
- MICHAELSON, Ray – Nonpartisan, incumbent.
School Board District 5 – Ryan Ponder is incumbent by appointment
- HARTLEY, Alma N. – Democrat, endorsed by MSEA teachers union. She is the only school board candidate endorsed by the union.
- PONDER, D. Ryan – Republican incumbent by appointment, endorsed by Region 2 Republicans, and Alaska Republican Assembly.
School Board District 7
- TAYLOR, V. Jeff – Republican. Endorsed by Region 2 Republicans and Alaska Republican Assembly.
MORE DATES TO NOTE
- Oct. 29: Last day to request an Absentee By-Mail ballot.
- Oct. 31: Last day to declare a write-in candidacy.
- Nov. 4: Absentee In-Person voting ends at all locations, except at the Borough Administration Building (Dorothy Swanda Jones Building) in Palmer.
- Nov. 5: Absentee In-Person voting ends at 5 p.m. at the Borough Administration Building (Dorothy Swanda Jones Building) in Palmer.
- Nov. 19: Election is certified.
- Absentee and in-person voting locations and more voter information is at this link.