A Cybertruck, an electric-powered vehicle manufactured by the Tesla company owned by Elon Musk, exploded and burned in a fiery inferno at the entrance to Trump Tower in Las Vegas on New Year’s Day morning.
Police vehicles and ambulances are on the scene and the streets around the building have been shut down.
Musk is not only an ally of Trump, but contributed millions to his reelection campaign and has become one of Trump’s closest advisers in the months leading up to Inauguration Day, when Trump will once again take office in the White House. Both may be targets of political terror or violence; Trump has survived two known assassination attempts already and both men are now heavily guarded, although Musk, in his citizen role, provides his own personal security.
It’s not clear if this incident is a “message” to Trump and Musk.
Earlier on New Year’s Day, an apparent terrorist killed 10 people and injured dozens in an attack in New Orleans.
This story will be updated.
Thursday morning update: The driver of the Cybertruck was identified as Colorado resident and Army veteran Matthew Livelsberger, 37.
Update: Officials found gas cans, camp fuel canisters, and large fireworks mortars in the truck, which was rented in Colorado with the Toro app, the same app used by the man who slaughtered 15 people in New Orleans just hours earlier on New Year’s Day.
“A 2024 Cybertruck pulled up to the front of the hotel, and in fact, I can tell you it pulled right up to the glass entrance doors of the hotel. We saw that smoke start showing from the vehicle, and then a large explosion from the truck,” Sheriff Kevin McMahill said in a press briefing.
Law enforcement officials earlier ruled out terrorism, but now are not ruling it out.
“I don’t know, but what I can tell you is we’re absolutely investigating any connectivity to what happened in New Orleans as well as other attacks that have been occurring around the world,” McMahill said.
