Earthquake damage? You’ve got more time to file for assistance



Gov. Michael Dunleavy today extended the application period for the State of Alaska’s Individual Assistance Program for 30 more days. The original deadline was Tuesday, Jan. 29.

The Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will accept applications for the State Individual Family Grant and Temporary Housing programs until Feb. 28. The  program, which  provides assistance to individuals and families who suffered damages or losses to personal or real property during the Nov. 30, 2018  earthquake, is available in Anchorage, the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, and the Kenai Peninsula Borough.

Individual residents or households with damages to their primary residence, personal property, or transportation during the earthquake or aftershocks, may apply. But the Feb. 28 deadline is firm — if you miss it, you won’t be able to apply later.

“We encourage everyone with damages from the Cook Inlet Earthquake to apply for State Individual Assistance. If damages are discovered at a later date, or damages from the earthquake are compounded by ground thaw in the spring, an application may be amended,” said Mike Sutton, director of the division.

To apply for State Individual Assistance, call DHS&EM at 1-855-445-7131, or visit Ready.Alaska.Gov.

Applicants will be asked to provide a description of damages, photographs or videos, ownership documents for transportation and real property, and insurance information.

Applicants needing an interpreter, or those with hearing disabilities should have a representative call the number above to arrange for assistance.

Dunleavy requested activation of federal disaster recovery programs on Jan. 3. The president may activate Federal individual and public assistance programs, and/or Small Business Administration disaster recovery loans.

Alaskans who have applied for State individual assistance will be required to apply for federal disaster recovery programs if or when they become available. Federal programs have separate application processes and may require documentation not requested during the State Individual Assistance application.