Anchorage is gaining on the record-setting homicide year of 2017. After a slight reprieve in violent deaths in 2018, the numbers are on the rise again in Alaska’s largest city, already considered one of the more crime-ridden municipalities in the country. Police have made arrests in seven of the homicides; one of the deaths was believed to be a murder-suicide. .The first on the list below was deemed to be a negligent manslaughter, through mishandling of a hand gun
HOMICIDES IN ANCHORAGE IN 2019
- Jan. 22, 12:33 am, at the 1200 block of LaTouche Ave. Victim: Omar Mandour. (Later classified as negligent manslaughter, shooting death.)
- Jan. 24, 12 pm, at 600 block of West 34th. Victim: Steven John, 36. Body trauma.
- Feb. 3, 2:01 am at 5900 block of East Sixth Avenue: Victims: Danny Smalley, 61, and Brenda Smalley, 46, murder-suicide.
- Feb. 4, 11:03 pm on East 12th, Victim: Salisa Loucks, 30. Shooting.
- Feb. 16, 8:53 pm, 46th and Spenard. Victim: Javon Diggs, 40. Shooting.
- Feb. 17, 12:12 pm, 1300 block West 36th, Ryan Cannon, 31, body trauma.
- March 7, 5:23 am, 1000 block of West 26th. Victim: Katelyn Sours, 22, body trauma, domestic violence.
- March 13, 6:42 pm, Point Woronzof, Victim: 3-year-old girl stabbed to death by her mother.
- March 30: 11:55 pm at 300 block of Oklahoma Street. Victim: Tion Price, 19. Shooting.
- April 1, 5:42 pm at West 16th at A Street. Victim: Tony Susook, 27. Body trauma.
- April 7, 2:08 am, 5100 block of Strawberry Road, Katherine Schmidt, suspicious house fire.
- April 8, 10:40 pm on Taku Drive. Victim: Navarrow Andrews, 23. Shooting.
- April 26, 4:29 pm at 1000 block of East Third. Victim: Veronique Long, 59. Intentionally run over by vehicle.
- April 28, 10:12 pm on East 20th. Victim: Laron Roberts, 36. Shooting.
- May 3, 1:30 am, on Debarr near Patterson. Victim: Not identified yet. Body trauma.
HOMICIDES: HOW THEY COMPARE WITH RECENT YEARS
- 2016: 34, or 2.8 per month
- 2017: 35, or 2.9 per month
- 2018: 28, or 2.3 per month
- 2019: 14 as of May 3, or 3.5 per month
- April 1, 1:13 am at 31st and A Street, Bishar Hassan, 31, shot by police after pointing gun (turned out to be BB gun).
- March 7, 2:11 am, Columbine Street, officers shot prowler Dylan Aikey, 23, who shot at officers first.