Alaska life hack: Are you due an unemployment insurance refund?


Alaskans who worked for more than one employer in 2018, earned over $39,500, and paid more than $197.50 in unemployment insurance contributions, may be eligible for a refund.

According to Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, if you had withholdings from your wages that exceed the maximum annual employee tax, you’re entitled to that refund and DoL wants to get it to you.

There are 97 individuals with unclaimed funds, totaling $124,070, according to the department.

Check the contributions that you paid, which may be listed on your W-2 form(s) in Box 14 or on your 2018 pay stubs. You may have to contact your former employers’ Human Resources department to get the information.

The refund form is found online at or can be requested by mail from the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Employment Security Contribution, P.O. Box 115509, Juneau, AK 99811-5509.

You’ll need to provide copies of your Statement of Deductions (W-2’s) from each employer you worked for during the year. Refunds are only made if overpayments are greater than $5.

You have time: The deadline for submitting your refund request is Dec. 31, 2019.


  1. I did this a number of years ago. I was owed like 200 dollars or something. It took 9 months and two phone calls before I ever saw a refund, without interest, LOL. THe IRS can refund for millions of filers in a few months and yet the state took three times as long for sending out refunds. Good luck on this

Comments are closed.